We started off with show and tell where Betty, who drove up from Long Island that morning to be with us shared some exciting news. She was interviewed by Vogue Knitting with a story about her Moose Manor Hand Paints business and it will be appearing in the issue that is due to release on or before July 8.
Here is the cover so you know what to look for . . .
Sumac brought some gorgeous core spun yarns with cores ranging from bulky, to lace for inspiration and then gave us a hands on demonstration. She even gave us a look at core less core spinning - who knew that even existed. It was very cool. Thank you Sumac!!!!! What a great way to kick off our new quarterly meetings.
We voted on several things all unanimously at the meeting of all those in attendance.
- There will be no official first Thursday night meetings from July - September
- We set the dates for the next two quarterly meetings - same time (10:15-1:45) and place (Brooks Memorial Library meeting room) on September 6 and December 13. Please mark your calendars.
- That we bring in an outside instructor (to be announced once they are secured to date and topic) from New England for the September meeting and that the guild pay for their services from the treasury.
- That new officers are to be elected at the September meeting which will be the start of a new year for the River Spinners.
- People should plan to bring dues for the September meeting we did not officially vote to reinstate as it makes more sense to do that at the start of the new business year
- The December meeting we will have in place of the Yankee swap a destash round robin - no worries if you don't have a big enough stash to destash
- The December meeting topic will be upcycling sweaters (Please step forward if you have expertise with this and can make the meeting) with focus manly on the following areas:
- Salvaging for yarn
- Making pillows from old sweaters
- Making bags from old sweaters
- We will plan for the March meeting to bring in another outside instructor
- When we advertise the guild we are going to be less limiting as a spinning guild and let people know that other fiber arts and bead work is also welcome.
Happy spinning and happy solstice,
Member of the River Spinners
The River Spinners