June 16, 2011
Ready Set 2011 Tour de Fleece
If you don't have a Ravelry account - now is a great time to sign up.
Alison, Elizzabetty, Spincerely, and Elizabeth all participated in the event last year and are excited that we will have our own team.
You don't have to blog about your experience - but you are welcome too see links about for Spincerely and Elizabeth they should link to last July and our experience.
Join us for the fun - bring some of your yarn to our July Guild meeting which will be a few days into the Tour.
Guidelines (Not Rules):
1. Spin every day the Tour rides, if possible. Saturday, July 2 through Sunday, July 24. Days of rest:
Monday, July 11, Monday, July 18. (Just like the actual tour - although even 5 minutes counts)
2. Spin something challenging Friday, July 22. (The Tour’s toughest mountain stage over the Col du
Galibier for the second time, and finishing up on Alpe d’Huez.)
3. Take a button if you want one. our team button will feature Linda our inspiration but you can also use the buttons from the flickr pool. Then we can use the button on our blogs in show of solidarity. Come join the flickr pool!
4. Wear yellow on Sunday, July 24 to announce victory. Why not wear yellow on any day you feel
particularly successful? (Yellow is the color of the race leader in the Tour - but here we are all ‘race
5. Other colors if desired: Green (sprinter - think FAST), Polka-dot (climber - as in uphill), and white
6/2/2011 Ravelry: Tour de Fleece www.ravelry.com/groups/tour-de-fleece
Teams: Join one, or many, or none.
Rookies (first years)
Sprinters (fast and/or high mileage like lace)
Climbers (conquer mountains, big personal challenges)
Breakaway (Art yarns)
Peloton (The main group. Everyone is in the peloton at some point)
Lantern rouge (You will participate as much as possible but you may skip days here and there.
Wildcards (This is for people who want to form their own team. This includes sponsored teams, like
those affiliated with a specific fiber shop or people who live in the same town, etc.) If you are
creating a wildcard team, please tag it with 2011 and add 2011 to your title: this will ensure
your team thread is archived properly next spring. Thank you very much!
The teams are inspired by the actual Tour de France.
Ravelry prizes are awarded in a few different ways:
1. Random draw thread - just for fun
2. Each of the main teams (not wild card teams though, more on that later!) will have a prize awarded
at the end of the tour. We’ll start a thread for voting and people will enter their yarns they spun and
we’ll all vote with love clicks. The rookies will enter their rookie yarn, the breakaways will enter their
art yarns, and so on. You can enter as many categories as you want.
3. There will be other categories done this way, like spindle spinning, most creative, most impressive,
etc. Keep your eyes out for the threads at the end of the tour.
4. We’ll have some nominations as well, for people or yarns that slipped through the radar. We’ll post
those at the end of the tour too.
5. Some prizes will be awarded during the tour. For example, challenge day, time trial days, etc.
6. Some surprises are in store - we’re not telling you about ALL of the prizes, because we like it that
If the River Spinners want to offer some prizes I suggest we discuss at our July meeting so we can post soon enough for people to know what they are going for. Personally I'm just looking forward to lots of spinning!
Start training… Now!
The purpose of the Tour is a challenge. The purpose of the Ravely group and River Spinners team is to share your Tour experience.